1978-280z overheating issue - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 1978-280z overheating issue

When I run the car for an extended amount of time (about 30+ minutes) and get to my destination, the car is turned off, it seems that the fuel rail gets extremely hot after about 15 min and then doesn't want to start. After several attempts and getting some cooler fuel into the rails, it will finally turn over and start. I've replace the fuel regulator, AAV, fuel filter, plugs, and a few other things..... Does anyone have any other suggestions?? It gets worse as the weather gets warmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Technically that's not overheating. That's heat soak.

Do you have a stock exhaust? I can't remember whether or not there is a heat shield. Other than that you could put some insulating material around the fuel lines/fuel rail like this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- A great place to search for answers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- the cheap source for FSMs

- Look up S30 part numbers

- My blog with some tech tips and pictures of my car-loving life

- Pictures from various car shows
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Either insulate the fuel rail, or consider adding a fan like those on the turbos to blow air over the fuel rail. Insulation would be much the simpler option. Doing the wiring and figuring out a thermostatic or timer option to fun the fan would take some thought.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
It is common to run rough for a little while, but it should start. Not only the rail gets hot, but the injectors get even hotter so the fuel changes from liquid to vapor. The ZX had a cooling fan to try and remedy the problem. Adding alcohol to our gas has turned it from a slightly rough start to a really rough start since alcohol vaporizes at a lower temperature. I noticed that it gets worse in the winter and that is because winter fuel is designed to vaporize at a lower temperature than summer blends. That might be nice for our air, but it is bad for these cars which have no trouble at all vaporizing fuel. You also might have a fuel pressure leak that makes the problem worse. Try installing a pressure gauge or a push button going to the fuel pump relay so you can run the pump before starting. Of course, I'm also assuming that the fuel filter is fairly new, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and timing, are fresh. You just give it some gas after starting until the idle starts to smooth out. Once it is in gear and traveling, everything is fine again. I'm currently assembling a simple cooling setup using a bilge blower in mine to avoid the hot start problem altogether. I will post it up once I get everything working properly. It should look clean and have a programmable timer so the fan comes on for X minutes after the engine is shut off. It only uses 2.5 amps.

Last edited by sactojohn; 03-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
A cheap, crude "fix" is to just pop your hood when you stop and leave it slightly ajar (to the first 'catch' or even wider). This allows the heat to escape much faster - and therefore cool the fuel rail down quicker. Yes, it's a pain in the butt. But I got into the habit of doing it to my '75, especially in the summer when the hot engine would fart and pop like a cement mixer for 5 mins before smoothing out. It works great, but yes I did have fears someone would mess with the engine. Nobody ever did tho, even when the wind would blow the hood all the way open. LOL
Just to be sure - your '78 does have the original hood vents, yes? The story is that Datsun added them to the '77-78 Z cars specifically to help alleviate the heat soak probs in the '75-76s, which did not have hood vents.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Here in the desert the hood popping works great. Also second the notion of being sure that you have the heat shields installed.

az240z
Taken from another: The more I touch the more I break!!!

1973 240z Long gone and then wrecked
1975 280z auto to manuel sold
1976 280z sold
1985 300zx sold
1986 300zx 78K miles wrecked
1978 280z Body done trying to rest Sold
1973 240z 3 liter Sold
Z less for now
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
do you run ethanol free gas?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Here's a site to find out if there is ethanol free gas near you: http://www.pure-gas.org

- A great place to search for answers

- the cheap source for FSMs

- Look up S30 part numbers

- My blog with some tech tips and pictures of my car-loving life

- Pictures from various car shows
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have tried many things, popping the hood works well. But if I forget, I have to floor the pedal when starting and leave it floored till it starts and RPMs get to about 3K. Then it runs poorly till the gas bubbles are pushed out.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Very few ethanol free stations in CA on that list. It is illegal to use in a motor vehicle here and it is $6.93 per gallon. On top of that, most of us have to drive for hours to get to these out of the way towns with empty gas cans and cart it back home. Cheaper to just figure out a solution to the problem or just live with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page