280zx shutting down when operating temp reached - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
280zx shutting down when operating temp reached

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster here. I have used the search button extensively but still running into what I fear is a dead end. Anyway I recently bought a fairly clean 280zx from a dealer here in Tampa. I knew the car would be a project and so far I have had fun with it. The current issue that I am trying to diagnose is this. When I first start up the car it idles between 1000 and 750 rpm. It runs fairly well and I can drive it around my block a few times but as it heats up the RPMs dip. If I try to get it throttle it bogs down and dies.

Now so far I have replaced the plug wires, plugs, dist cap and rotary button, and the fuel filter. I did all of this right off the bat because when I bought the car it was running rough. Today I went through the vacuum lines and found one major cracked line which I replaced. Now I seem to have great vacuum and when I remove the oil cap on the engine the car immediatly runs more rough....much tells me I prob dont have a major vacuum leak. I have cleaned the major connections with electrical contact cleaner. I took off the AFM and checked the flap on it.

Some of the symptoms im experiencing besides the rough slow idle once the car gets at temp are: The exhaust stinks like a lawn mower (ran out old gas and added fresh gas with injector cleaner), The fuel pump hums loudly (once the car starts idling down the buzz sound varies a bit). Im going to try and get a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line after the filter tomorrow to see how the pressure is behaiving. Also seems my temp gauge is not working on the car. Anything else obvious I should try?

if I cant get this worked out anyone know of any good shops in lakeland, brandon, or plant city FL? I know Z Fever is a bit further out in Tampa.....any opinions on those guys?
Thanks a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Also this is a 1980 280zx/NA
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
two things are affected by temp. the O2 sensor and the chts. disconnect O2 sensor and see if problem solved. chts easily replaced between cylc 5 and 6. can't remember for sure but it could also be still in the coolant flow up front look for a two wire sensor in either place. temp gage on console is a single wire unit. Don't remember when the switch to chts on engine side went in effect. either 79/80 or 80/81

86T, 350 Nismo 08 (#1415) gone but fondly remembered 81T, 83T, 83, 85T, 86T, 96TT

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sounds like the ignition amplifier.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
yeah forgot that one. next time it dies hit the ignition transistor (near by the dizzy) with some freeze spray. if it fires right up then that is the problem

86T, 350 Nismo 08 (#1415) gone but fondly remembered 81T, 83T, 83, 85T, 86T, 96TT
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
wow thanks guys this is on that I have not explored yet. I wont be able to look at the car until tomorrow morning but I will check this next. It seems this part is mostly mentioned with Turbo cars. My car is N/A could this still be the issue?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
how do the plugs look? are they looking carbon fouled?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
how do the plugs look? are they looking carbon fouled?
Hey Dave the plugs are brand new maybe have 15 min of run time on them. The ones I pulled out were def showing some serious carbon build up.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
good you started with them new, pull them again and see how they look after only a bit of running. If carbon fouling again, then you know its most likely a fuel mixture issue.

then you can trouble shoot that area. Starting with fuel pressure, and temp sensor readings. hopefully no one has monkeyed around with the AFM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
good you started with them new, pull them again and see how they look after only a bit of running. If carbon fouling again, then you know its most likely a fuel mixture issue.

then you can trouble shoot that area. Starting with fuel pressure, and temp sensor readings. hopefully no one has monkeyed around with the AFM.
Thanks I will pull them in the morning. Sadly someone has messed with the AFM which scares me. The glob of glue seal has been broken and the marked tooth is way to the right! Im an electrician by trade so im bringing my meter home with me tomorrow morning as well to try and test the readings im getting off of it to see if its still good in general. I was also reading the article that circulates this forum on the issue of tuning AFM. Ill let you know my findings on both fronts tomorrow. I do appreciate all of your help! Plugs first then ill go from there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page