Get ready because this is gonna be a long post. First let's go from the start.
I recently found out my voltage regulator went out on my Z.
It was allowing the car to hit 16v+ at the battery.
So I looked up replacing it but decided I would do the ZX alternator instead.
I ordered a remanufactured one off amazon and when it got here I went to work.
I followed this guide: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/a...wap/index.html
The voltage regulator harness wires on my car are exactly the same as the ones for the 1975 year in the guide.
I soldered Green/Red to White/Black.
And I soldered White to Yellow.
Here's a pic of my wiring: http://i.imgur.com/U2LfjKV.jpg
I hooked up my alternator the same way it was on the original. Here's a pic of all my connections: http://i.imgur.com/fRSOvqZ.jpg
After doing all this I connected the negative battery cable back on the battery and got a spark, but I didn't think much of it.
I started the car with my voltmeter hooked up to the battery and noticed it wasn't charging.
I revved the car, took it around the block, nothing.
Battery voltage with car off is 12.5v
Battery voltage with car on and running is about 12.1v
The alternator just wasn't charging the battery. So I hooked up my meter's POS probe to the BAT terminal and my NEG probe to the negative terminal on battery. 11.8v
So I had my dad come check out the car and they he said that it was most likely a bad alternator and to get it tested/replace it.
I took it to autozone and it passed all 3 tests. But I decided to return the alternator and pick up a new one anyway.
Which brings us to today. I hooked up the new (still remanufactured) alternator and it's doing the exact same thing. 11.8v output.
I've done ALL kinds of voltage tests on the car and unfortunately I can't remember most of them, but I'll go back out and test again and write it all down and post back here.
The ONLY wiring I did was the 4 wires I spliced on the voltage regulator. The car was working fine before I did this swap it was just getting too much voltage from alt.
Also I've checked all my fuses and fusible links. They all look great and no obvious burning.
I'm really stumped on what to do next. I really need some help on where else to check and what tests I need to do to find out what exactly is going on.
I'd really appreciate and support or ideas you can throw my way, If you guys have any questions please post them and I'll answer as quick as I can.