Emissions on 1980 zx Federal Model - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Emissions on 1980 zx Federal Model

So I took my car to emissions for the first time here in Tucson AZ which has a 1967 and newer yearly testing requirement. The car previously passed emissions, according to the history, variously with a P or an N for the Air system portion of the visual inspection, back and forth for the last decade. Well the PO threw a cone style air intake on to complement a high flow Cat and cherry bomb exhaust, and apparently sealed off this weird 'unknown emissions' hose that previously went to the air box originally.

I now know that was the Air Induction Valve or AIV part of the AIS connected to the EAI pipe which from what I can tell was a 1980 Federal model exclusive possibly. I have the EAI pipe hanging out with a hose plugged on the end of it. It's the same type of part found in many other vehicles, essentially a check valve that allows air to enter the exhaust under low pressure pulses to help burn off the excess fuel. Now the kicker here is, after doing the optional warmup cycle for the idle exaust test (since they make you turn off the car right before the first idle test) the car passed the actual emissions tests themselves quite decently. It's merely the visual inspection that failed it.

I poked at them about what I was suppsed to replace and was referred to the other location across town to talk to the inspector who can make exceptions but he only allowed for a different air filter placement if I could find the part. They found me documentation on the part at least, otherwise I'd be entirely lost. Unfortunately online I've found nearly nothing about this part, no parts stores (rock auto, nissan parts, ebay and many others) that I can locate have the part even listed let alone in stock.

I picked up a cheap generic style exhaust check valve for a later model chevy pickup and am considering trying to tie it in with a small filter on the end as a replacement and if it seems to work I'll bring it back for him to look at. In the mean time I wondered if anyone here could comment on this weird little part, suggest a replacement location or maybe a good argument I can present to the exceptions guy other than "I can't find it" so I don't have to go get receipts from mechanics verifying it's non existence and my spending of useless cash to prove it.

There is one thread I found on here that references and even has a picture of the part, but nothing on finding/replacing one. zcar. com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/289369-air-induction-system-i-s.html
Sorry not enough posts yet for a link.
Attachment of other thread's picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1353.jpg (54.4 KB, 11 views)

ZaxX the 1980 280zx N/A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I would think the simple solution is to find someone parting out a similar car and buy the parts your looking for, install them, get thru the emissions and then uninstall. I bet Borini63 would have what your looking for.

az240z
Taken from another: The more I touch the more I break!!!

1973 240z Long gone and then wrecked
1975 280z auto to manuel sold
1976 280z sold
1985 300zx sold
1986 300zx 78K miles wrecked
1978 280z Body done trying to rest Sold
1973 240z 3 liter Sold
Z less for now
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, finding an '80 is the issue since it was the only year with this part. Luckily I talked the exceptions officer into accepting the same functional result with some different parts. I took a breather filter and bored out the size to fit a mid 90's gm check valve and threw it on there. After 5 minutes description and discussion of the rarity of the part, and 20 minutes of the guy researching in his office he came out and asked me to fire up the car. You can hear it sucking air during idle and during rev drop, he turned and smiled and said "I'll take it". He wrote it up in the history, and my paperwork that it's acceptable and even took a picture to log it. Means it cost me $23 total in parts!

You can hear it and me stumbling around it's description here:
https://youtu.be/6Jjkd3x0iJE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170209_174524.jpg (282.4 KB, 5 views)

ZaxX the 1980 280zx N/A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page