ZCar Forum banner

Heater control valve

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kzap 
#1 ·
I have a question regarding the heater control valve. The wider the valve opens, the hotter the air gets right?

#2 ·
heater control valve, I believe allows hot coolant to enter the heater core through the firewall. you have a 280z? the water **** might not be functioning. need more details on your specific problem. download FSM here... www.xenonzcar.com

Bon

#3 ·
I've seen multiple Z cars with their heaters bypassed, probably because of leaky heater cores or heater control valves. It's pretty easy to see this in the engine bay from the right side of the car.

#4 ·
Yes, I have a leaky heater control valve and I want to bypass it until I can figure out if I want to replace it with a $200 rebuild valve or permanently bypass it with a manual valve in the engine compartment. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
To completely bypass the heater you connect the heater hose outlet and inlet on the block directly together with a piece of hose. It will make the job simpler of you rotate the connector at the back of the block to point towards the front. Alternatively you could simply block off the inlet and outlet but I think (not sure) the first method is preferred as it allows for more coolant flow through the block.

To use a manual valve in the engine bay you of course need to insert an inline valve in one of the hoses. Choose a location that's easy to access. You will then have to re-plumb the hoses in the passenger compartment to go directly to your heater core. This is a very fiddly job as you've likely got to remove your console to get at the core. Take a look at the FSM to see how to access the core.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.