User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1977 280z fuel pump

So I have a 1977 280z and I'm curious whether those cars have one fuel pump or two? My fuel pump went out on mine (will start fine with starting fluid, but won't start normally and I have a new fuel filter on it). Anyways, I was reading up on it and someone who claimed to be a machanic said they have a high pressure pump on the rail and a "lift pump or pickup pump" in the tank on the sending unit. I have looked to see if I could find the mysterious fuel pump in the tank but I keep coming up dry, yet the inline pump I found no problem.. So my question is, are there two pumps? Or just the one on the rail? And if there are two, does anyone know where I can get one at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi your car only has one fuel pump. It is located just in front of the fuel tank on the frame rail. Remember that pump a pusher not a pump that will pull fuel from the tank. If you run it out of fuel you'll have to fill up your tank to be able to prime the pump. It will not pull fuel from the tank unless it has fuel to feed it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
I have used Nissan or aftermarket 40 bucks + shipping.

Sometimes you can wakeup a old pump by putting 12 volts to it
plug behind passenger seat under carpet.

BLACK GOLD MAN OF DETROIT 78 280Z 80ZX 10TH ANV 83 ZX 2+2 GL

MOTOR CITY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you both for the info, that's kinda what i was thinking with the single fuel pump
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Yes, just the one pump. And to clarify, your pump hasn't 'gone out.' The fuel-injected cars won't run at all if the fuel pump isn't working. Your hard-start problem is somewhere else.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
yes. as others have said, only one. the early carb cars now have one in the back and another secondary up on the engine. your fuel tank has a little strainer thing inside it that gets clogged up sometimes. I know mine was bad after opening the tank up and cleaning it... gets all cruddy. your problem however sounds like something else. sounds like you have a spark issue or fuel delivery issue. when you start the car, do you hear the pump kick on? is there gas in the tank? and do you have any pressure up front? you can put a gauge up there or, remove the hose from your filter and put a bucket underneath then see if fuel is being pushed up from the back. probably not the best or safest way, but it will tell you if you got flow or not.
you can also check for voltage in the back at the pump. download the FSM for the 77 here.... www.xenonzcar.com

Bonny

Nos, primer paint, piller gauges, fart cans, funky spoilers, low riders, annoying drivers...
Oooh, I'm trembling with fear as the stop light is near, I sit in my Z in the presence of thee....
Whatever man. Leave that dumb crap to the Honda goons!

Pooja -- 1987 300zx 2+2 non-turbo. International DD
Suzanna -- 1983 280zx coupe non-turbo. Stateside DD
Alana -- 1976 280z coupe NA2T. Weekend Warrior
Dianna -- 1980 280zx coupe slick-top. Former DD ~ Sold.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8gary View Post
Hi your car only has one fuel pump. It is located just in front of the fuel tank on the frame rail. Remember that pump a pusher not a pump that will pull fuel from the tank. If you run it out of fuel you'll have to fill up your tank to be able to prime the pump. It will not pull fuel from the tank unless it has fuel to feed it.
As a data note, this is also true of the fuel pumps in the 280ZX series...to my frustration after some recent experiments with my '83.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I agree that your problem is probably not the pump. You can borrow and fuel pressure tester from your local parts store "loan a tool" program to verify easily enough. You can even even pull the fuel hose, unplug the starter, turn the key, and watch how fast the fuel goes squirting out. There is an ideal GPM number somewhere in some forums, but I forget what it was. Measure the time it takes to fill a 1 gallon jug and you will know what yours is. Everyone always goes for the fuel pump when the car won't start or run right because it seems like an easy fix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page