New "Convert 240z Points to Pertronix" Diagram - Does it look right to you? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New "Convert 240z Points to Pertronix" Diagram - Does it look right to you?

I'm tired of seeing the crude diagram of how to wire a Pertronix ignition in a stock 240z, so I drew a better one. Does it look correct? Did I get the wire colors right? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Watch your weight or someone might steal it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The install is very simple. Install the pick up coil and magnets inside a distributor, red wire goes to the 12 V input on the ballast resistor. Black wire goes to the negative of the coil. Leave all the rest of the wires connected make sure your timing is correct and it should work perfectly right out of the box.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
It looks right from an operational view. The resistor is bypassed at Start but in use during Run. Not sure on the Pertronix wire colors, you should have posted a link to their instructions too. You're asking people to go out and get them.

Also, I think that Nissan changed wire colors over the years of the 240Z so you should tell which year 240Z diagram you used. And, finally, it's not a "band" on the wire, it's a stripe.

But it looks generally clear and useful. Add a few details.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx280 View Post
And, finally, it's not a "band" on the wire, it's a stripe.
Your tach might be different, but on mine they're definitely not a stripe:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8gary View Post
The install is very simple. Install the pick up coil and magnets inside a distributor, red wire goes to the 12 V input on the ballast resistor. Black wire goes to the negative of the coil. Leave all the rest of the wires connected make sure your timing is correct and it should work perfectly right out of the box.
I've already done the installation and it works great, but being a drafter by trade I hate this ugly diagram:

I decided to "give back" to the community with something better. I'm looking for opinions and a double-check on the wire colors.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemon View Post
Your tach might be different, but on mine they're definitely not a stripe:

You're looking at the wrong side of the connection plug (right above and to the left of this text - white), I think. Look at the harness side and you'll probably see the black with white stripe and green with white stripe. The colors changed at the connection point, the plug. Most people won't be connecting their Pertronix right at the tach.

I suggested adding your reference sources because, otherwise, you're just another person supplying unverified knowledge. Even expert research professionals add citations to their publications.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK, let me take a step back. Instead of trying to establish citations, let me establish my background. I'm a professional AutoCAD drafter with over 30 years of drawing experience, most of which has been in various electrical disciplines. I'm also an experienced car and motorcycle builder. A good example of a custom motorcycle I created can be found at http://cbcaferacer.com

I'm restoring a '70 240z and after trying to make old wiring (with faded stripes) work properly, I pulled everything out and started from scratch, using new wiring, new connectors and sockets, and most of all, a modern design. Here's a clip from the drawing I created:

Naturally, a purist won't like what I've done because I'm not using "standard" colors, but I don't think striped wires are necessary for a car this simple. The image above only shows part of the diagram, so here's a link to a high-resolution pdf: http://cbcaferacer.com/images/240z%2...%20diagram.pdf I think you're agree it's pretty comprehensive and quite detailed. Compare it to the "best available" stock wiring diagram and tell me which you think is easier to follow.

Now, with that in mind, all I'm trying to do at the moment is create a better-looking and easier-to-understand diagram to help people install an electronic ignition in a '70-'72 240z. Certainly, I missed the mark by identifying the wire colors at the tach itself, so changing the drawing to indicate the standard Nissan colors is important. I've posted all of this in a sincere effort to verify that the drawing is accurate both in appearance and operation, and asking peers such as yourself (and Tony D) for a review is a useful method to confirm I've done my homework.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 PM

Let me clarify - 99.8% of the people that install a Pertronix ignition system in a 240Z will never ever see those two white wires. So the labels you used on your drawing are useless.

That's all I was saying. Not sure why it's become complicated.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx280 View Post
Let me clarify - 99.8% of the people that install a Pertronix ignition system in a 240Z will never ever see those two white wires. So the labels you used on your drawing are useless.

That's all I was saying. Not sure why it's become complicated.
Perhaps it was this: "...otherwise, you're just another person supplying unverified knowledge."

I agree with what you said about the white wires and I will correct the drawing. I appreciate your assistance.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You don't need the resistor with the Pertronix setup using thier coil.
Hey that CB of yours rocks!
I have a 82 CB750 DOHC I'm restoring.

Nov 70 late series one HLS3014777 Sunshine Yellow 919

Last edited by SurferD; 01-28-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page