1981 280zx turbo problems with turbo - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 1981 280zx turbo problems with turbo

I'm thinking about buying a 81 280zx turbo. But something is wrong with the turbo and the carburetor. What website can i find replacements for these? I prefer to keep everything stock for now. Just wondering how much it would be to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Stock 81 zx's had no carbs, they were fuel injected. If you have carbs you have some crazy aftermarket setup that will drive a beginner like you insane and broke. Parts for stock setups are cheap and easy to find, in our own wanted to buy (WTB) classified ads, on e-bay, and at hybridz.org. Or, have your existing turbo rebuilt, just google "turbocharger rebuilders".

73 240Z very orange
Dual Weber DGV's, header and 2.5 exhaust
Electronic dizzy with G.M. HEI module
Tokico Struts/Springs, Full Poly U bushings
Daily driver, all work done by me
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so either the seller does not no anything about it and trying to sell you a car with bogus info so to get it off his hands or he modified it and screwed it up , does that sound about right ?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
And you do NOT want to buy a replacement turbo. Have the one on it rebuilt.

If you are going to drive a car like this, you need to learn to REPAIR, not REPLACE. It's often much less expensive to remove parts and have them rebuilt than to replace them with cheap aftermarket stuff.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcadeab99 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a 81 280zx turbo. But something is wrong with the turbo and the carburetor. What website can i find replacements for these? I prefer to keep everything stock for now. Just wondering how much it would be to fix it.

you didn't specify what exactly the problem was. did you get to drive the car? what was the issue with the turbo? it could be seized, burnt up, leaking oil, have bad bearings, etc... and the problem might be somewhere else, like fuel injection system, or fuel delivery, or maybe just needs a good solid tune up. like the others have said, get the problem repaired. the stock T3 is a good reliable little turbo and works fine for the stock application.
do not get a turbo off of Ebay. as good as they are for everything else Z-part related, avoid going there and getting a cheap one.
if you can take some pictures of the car and engine bay in question, we may be able to see if the owner has done any "butchy-hack" to the car.

Bon

Nos, primer paint, piller gauges, fart cans, funky spoilers, low riders, annoying drivers...
Oooh, I'm trembling with fear as the stop light is near, I sit in my Z in the presence of thee....
Whatever man. Leave that dumb crap to the Honda goons!

Pooja -- 1987 300zx 2+2 non-turbo. International DD
Suzanna -- 1983 280zx coupe non-turbo. Stateside DD
Alana -- 1976 280z coupe NA2T. Weekend Warrior
Dianna -- 1980 280zx coupe slick-top. Former DD ~ Sold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page