Misfire Sparkplugs are black? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Misfire Sparkplugs are black?

Hello I am new to the Z world. I just got a 1971 240z with an L28 in it with original 240 carbs.

I thought I had a misfire so pulled all of the plugs and discovered that my first three look pretty good about cardboard brown, however my 4-6 plugs where really black and oily. I'm guessing that it is a carburetor issue but not exactly sure if any one can point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

71' 240z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Rear carb may be running rich. Lean it out by twisting the adjustment nut CCW when looking from the top of the carb. There are lots of posts on how to adjust your carbs.

Scott
Tucson, Arizona

9/74 260Z VIN RLS30 060061
Restored!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Unfortunately, a rich mixture doesn't produce oil though, just a dry black carbon fouling and it would be on all cylinders, not just two of them. You can clean and lean, but if the plugs come out oily again either your valve seals are leaking or the oil control rings are bad on those two cylinders. I made a Youtube video on replacing the valve stem seals. If you see smoke when taking off from a stoplight, it is probably the rings though. Compression and leak down tests can still show that the cylinders have good compression too if just the oil rings are bad, but it wouldn't hurt to do a compression test. It's an easy and low cost engine to rebuild though.

Last edited by sactojohn; 01-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sounds like your rear carburetor is running really rich. Probably not oily just wet from too much fuel. There is a tool called color tune available on Amazon etc. Very easy to use. It is a spark plug type tool that has a glass eye you can see the combustion chamber while the vehicle is running. Just adjust the carburetor until you see a blue flame inside. Very easy to use and very accurate.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
first check the choke linkage to make sure the rear carb isn't running partially choked! (It's not really "choked", ...just operate the choke cable from under the hood and you'll see how the linkage works, make sure the rear isn't stuck down a little bit)

73 240Z very orange
Dual Weber DGV's, header and 2.5 exhaust
Electronic dizzy with G.M. HEI module
Tokico Struts/Springs, Full Poly U bushings
Daily driver, all work done by me
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Adjust the carb, check plugs in a few thousand miles. If black, do a wet/dry compression test to see if compression is down. I suspect some oil usage, so check that dipstick often.

One other thing - when I had a '70 240Z, I learned to ONLY run NGK spark plugs, and to change them every 10K miles. Seemed like I'd get a miss by 11K miles if I kept running them. Fortunately changing plugs is a 20 minute job.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Ghosttanker has the first step. Don't adjust ANYTHING until you have determined the jet has gone all the way back up into the carb body and is not binding/sticking when the STARTER circuit is used....

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page