Do I need to drain the transmission to take engine and transmission out? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do I need to drain the transmission to take engine and transmission out?

I'm having a lot of trouble with the drain and fill plugs on the transmission. Is it safe to remove the engine + transmission without draining it or will everything come leaking out? I've been spraying them with PB blaster but I'm pretty sure they've never been removed because they had like white paste around the threads. I might just get a 5 speed.

Last edited by kuzyspy; 07-22-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzyspy View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble with the drain and fill plugs on the transmission. Is it safe to remove the engine + transmission without draining it or will everything come leaking out? I've been spraying them with PB blaster but I'm pretty sure they've never been removed because they had like white paste around the threads. I might just get a 5 speed.
Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is to your benefit to drain. The oil from the motor will come leaking out the back. The slightest tip and the fluid seems to spill. Check the lower right of the photo I have included. That is a motor+trans pull where they didn't drain it. Be careful pulling the bolts, you don't want to break the bolts. Thats a pain. Tranny oil leaks as well.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
The plugs can be a real pain. Nissan sealed them with super-duper sealant. Heat works to soften it up. A heat gun or a torch. No need to get red hot, you just need to make it very warm. Also, get a tool that fits the hole tightly. Don't strip it out or you'll be very sorry. It seems like it's a 1/2" drive size, but it's actually not. You might make a 1/2" drive work, with heat, but if it starts to slip, stop.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Get the proper socket to fit it and use a long breaker bar. Maybe even a piece of pipe to make it even longer. It will come out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Is this a square hole with a taper to the sides as it goes inward or a true square hole?
In either case I would anally clean up the inside of the hole with a Dremel to eliminate any high spots that might keep the "socket" or square drive from going in as far as possible to get the most "grip".

Buying or making a special "socket" might also help, i.e.
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts204.htm

zippityzda
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 AM

I just looked at mine. It is a straight sided square hole. It is metric, somewhere between 1/2 & 3/4. closer to 1/2.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
It's a 1/2" square drive hole to remove it.
The magic number for heat is 300F and the sealant breaks down.

Replace the sealant with Loctite PST 567, in clean dry threads. Turn the plug in FINGER TIGHT, THEN NO MORE THAN 180 DEGREES (1/2 a turn) more and let the sealant cure.

It will not leak.
You will easily be able to remove it later to check the fluid level.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:09 PM

Mine is slightly larger than 1/2". My 1/2 wiggles around in it. I would probably work though.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
It's a 1/2" square drive hole to remove it.
The magic number for heat is 300F and the sealant breaks down.

Replace the sealant with Loctite PST 567, in clean dry threads. Turn the plug in FINGER TIGHT, THEN NO MORE THAN 180 DEGREES (1/2 a turn) more and let the sealant cure.

It will not leak.
You will easily be able to remove it later to check the fluid level.
Tony:

Is that sealant also applicable to the plugs in the valve gallery of the head, and the clean-out plugs of the EGR rail in the intake manifold?

-thanks
bob
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Even if you drain the transmission first, it tends to leak gook from both ends as you remove it. I recommend that you go to the concrete department at home depot and buy a big black plastic concrete mixing pan. These are a high-sided pan that is big enough to drop the entire transmission into and sturdy enough to drag around on the garage floor with the transmission still inside.

73 240Z very orange
Dual Weber DGV's, header and 2.5 exhaust
Electronic dizzy with G.M. HEI module
Tokico Struts/Springs, Full Poly U bushings
Daily driver, all work done by me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page