Velo Rossa Conversion Kit - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 11:40 AM

(Thread Starter)
Velo Rossa Conversion Kit

I'm contemplating applying this kit to my Z which has been sitting in my garage collecting dust because I went off to college.

I've got a lot of the research done and parts priced, etc. But the interior seems to be talked about much less than the kit or the V8 i'd be putting in it.

My question(s) is has anybody done this conversion? What do you think of it? What did you do to your interior? Did you keep the current dash, etc OR did you get a GTO replica dash? If you got a GTO dash where did you get it? I can only find one for Fieros. I have the measurements for the Fiero one, just got to whip out the tape measure and see whats needed.

I'd appreciate any and all experiences with these type of conversions as it would be my first.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:14 PM

(Thread Starter)
RE: Velo Rossa Conversion Kit

A 280 DONER IS THE BETTER WAY TO GO , STICK WITH THE COUPE NOT THE SPIDER , IF YOU CHOP THE TOP YOU WILL NEED TO REINFORCE THE UNIBODY ( TUBE FRAME ) AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOEHORN A SMALL BLOCK INTO IT. NICE KIT OTHERWISE ,INCIDENTLY I SAW A POOR EXAMPLE OF ONE AUCTIONED OFF AT LIME ROCK ( CT. RACEWAY PARK) FOR 18,000.00 LAST FALL. I WAS SHOCKED !!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS VERY VERY POORLY DONE IN EVERY RESPECT.

D.M.RUSSELL
70 240Z VIN #958
#3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:20 PM

(Thread Starter)

Oh I definately planned on doing the coupe. But I will be reinfocing the frame anyways so it can handle the V8's 430HP/430 ft lbs gracefully.

I'm curious as to why you suggest a 280 donor? If it's the axle problem I plan on replacing it with a Corvette IFS or if all else fails a Ford 9 inch. I haven't seen to many good 280 donor cars around here (Helena Montana), and my 260 is in excellent condition, the best I have seen around which is why I got it.

Thanks for the comments,

Chris
#4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:53 PM

To answer your questions, the kit is fairly easy to build compared to some of the other kits (stretched lambo, f355). I have the stable autoworks kit and I it partially assembled from a great guy who spent about 5 years on it and gave up. He wanted the kit to be perfect(then he gave it to me, what a mistake :-) ). I have the custom dash, and it was made by Jim Simpson when he still owned the company. He made the mold for the dash and only pulled 3 of them though. I have one, Jack Bich has the other and he isnt sure what happened to the third. I think if you call John Washington he might know where to get it though. Its a pretty simple design. My interior is pretty stripped also. I have the gto dash and no center console, a huge strut brace and 4 point harness. It doesnt look much like a datsun at all, very racey also. Email me if you want any more info or pictures. Take a look at my website, it shows a good overview of the car.

<a href ="http://www.flex.net/~mgwilson">http://www.flex.net/~mgwilson</a>

Thanks and i hope i helped you a little.

Scott
#5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:56 PM

From your name I was wondering if you had a 79. The GTO kit only fits on first gen cars. Just hoping you didn't get your hopes up. They do have a Daytona kit though which is very similar. thanks

Scott
#6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 02:09 PM

(Thread Starter)

79 is my birth year.

I have a 1974 260Z, gotta love cars older than you are.

Forgive my ignorance, but who is John Washington?

Thanks for the info,

Chris
#7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 02:45 PM

(Thread Starter)

ITS SEEMS TO MY THAT A 280 HAS A BIT MORE REINFORCING IN ITS SUB FRAMES AS OPPOSED TO ITS 240/260 COUNTERPARTS . I LIVE IN CONNECTICUT WERE 280s ARE ABOUT THE ONLY Zs LEFT ON THE ROAD OR EVEN SITTING BEHIND THE BARN , MOST 240/260s ARE ALL GONE ( RUST) TO THE BIG CRUSHER . 260s ARE FAIRLY HARD TO FIND AS ARE 240s,THEREFOR " I " WOULD RATHER CUT UP A MORE COMMON 280 , AND AGAIN THEY WERE A BIT MORE TORSIONALLY STRONGER . KEEP YOUR CLEAN 260 INTACT AND FIND A DOGGIE DONER ! WHEN PUMPING OVER 350hp TO THE REAR ( A WEE BIT MORE THAN A R200 WOULD LIKE ) YOUR CHOISE OF REARS SOUNDS APPROPRIATE , I LIKE THE VETTE REAR IDEA .TRING TO MAKE THE Z INTO A 250GTO IN TOUGH ENOUGH , BUT THE REAL TRICK IS TO MAKE "SORTA" PERIOD CORRECT AND CONSISTANT WITH ITS NAMESAKE . I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO BE KEPT INFORMED OF YOUR PROGRESS , I TO HAVE ASPIRED TO BUILD ONE . I HAVE TO DATE RESTORED ( FULLY / NOT A WANTABE) 2 - 240Z ( 70 VIN# 000958 & 72 3.1 STROKER ) 3 - 510s ( 2DR / 4DR / WAGON ) AND LASTLY A 1966 TRIUMPH GT6 MARK 1 . I HAVE A SMALL FLEET .

DMR
#8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 06:38 PM

(Thread Starter)

John Washington owns VR engineering ..They make the Velo Rossa kit your talking about. Also check ZDriver .com, there is a complete build story on a Velor Rossa Spyder, or there was...It's a great site if you can find it, gives the complete play-by-play with pics

Pete W
#9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 07:37 PM

If you haven't already - this site's a good insight

<http://www.zcarkits.com/>
#10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 12:11 AM

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, Scott told me about that. I will be getting my kit form there. I like having a hood.

Thanks,
Chris
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page