ZCar Forum banner

Datsun 260z starting problems

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  steve240Z73 
#1 ·
just replaced the head gasket on my 260 but i cant get the car to start. Car was running fine before but now it just cranks. Made sure #1 cylinder was at tdc(the cylinder closest to the radiator) and I made sure the cam lobes on the same cylinder were pointing to 10 and 2. I made sure the little notches on the oil pump lined up and i primed it with oil. The distributor went in the 11:28 position. All my plugs are going counter clockwise 153642. I didnt really mess with the carbs. They were working fine before so i just put them back on. Fuel Is getting to the carbs. Im using new spark plugs that are correctly gapped. Idk what i did wrong but i did something wrong and id like to figure it out. Is there something im missing or is there a common spot where people mess up?

#3 ·
Could the timing chain be stretched? Did you keep tension on it when you worked on the head gasket?

#4 ·
So it looks like im not getting any spark. I pulled a spark plug and attached the wire and watched it as i tried to start the motor and theres no spark. I pulled the distributor cap off and i noticed it was pretty rusty inside and i tried to clean it out. Still no spark. Any suggestions?

#6 ·
ok so i definitely dont have spark but idk why. Had spark before and really nothing has been messed with that i know of. All the connections from the wiring harness to the ignitor are good and tight but I have the plug that attaches the ignitor to the distributor disconnected next to the frame to check for a spark and i dont see any. I used an multimeter to do a continuity test on the ignitor and the coil doesnt seem to be broken. can i run a wire straight from the battery to the ignitor to get spark?

#8 ·
Yep. It's too bad he didn't post pictures...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.