ZCar Forum banner

1981 280zx turbo Idle air control valve

9K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  TheBob 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if I purchased the right replacement IAC for my 280zx turbo.
Here's the one I bought:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/wBUAAOxyRhBS2LU7/$_57.JPG

Which I think is a non-turbo version from what I can find

But the one currently on my car looks more like this:

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/ge....rockauto.com/info/SMP/AC354photo+primary.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference between a turbo and non-turbo IAC. Also if that vacuum line on the bottom can be safely bypassed or if it is actually incorporated into the part somehow.

Thanks,
Tyler

#6 ·
Please Gents, use Nissanspeak.
There is no "IAC" on a Turbo, or on an N/A unless you have the JDM version of the HS130.

What you have there is AAR---and it's a cold-start assist idle-up device....having nothing to do with actual idle speed control.

That would be the AAC, which is controlled by magnet valves and performs "Idle Air Control" functions like idle up on A/C Engagement, Alternator Load, etc.

Frankly, it's not necessary for running, and the electric heater when wired through the fuel pump relay works nicely.

#8 ·
It was Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. built the things, named the parts, and wrote the Factory Service Manuals... I think I'd call it "Nissanspeak".

I almost wrote a post about "Idle Air Control" valves and the L28ET, but Jamal came up with the proper part = Air Regulator with water circuit, so I figured I'd let it be closed.

Tony's point is spot on though. We need to be using the proper terminology - Nissanspeak - so we're all talking about the same thing. The specific part the O.P. was referring to is not, never was referred to in the literature as an Air Idle Control Valve. I was confused when I first read the post trying to figure out if he was referring to the Air Regulator or the Auxiliary Air Control (A.A.C) valve. I could only see the first of his referenced pics - the Air Regulator (minus the coolant circuit). For some reason the Rockauto link just wouldn't work for me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.