ZCar Forum banner

Standard to Automatic Conversion

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Tony D 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a 280Z and I see many for sale that are good choices but most of them are standard transmission. I really want one with an automatic but threre aren't many to choose from. Has anyone converted a 280Z from standard to automatic transmission? Do any of the later Nissan automatics work for this? What kind of problems would I expect to have in doing this? Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance with this.
Fred

#2 ·
the early nissan automatics aren't very reliable why buy a headache and then spend the time to put it in. If you have some disability which precludes you driving a stick I would strongly recommend getting something modern 350 or 370. You probably wouldn't like the problems doing the swap and then have unreliable unit.

#3 · (Edited)
This has been covered before in past posts. You might try searching for some info. Most people go the opposite way on trans swaps but some have physical/health issues that make it hard to shift a manual and want to go automatic. Difficulty depends on how close to OEM you want it to be. Quick way would be to install transmission,hook up cooler lines to radiator(if already equipped),install auto shifter,and drive down the road. Now.............if you want to make it look like factory installed a few more steps are involved. you need to remove old clutch and brake pedals. Install auto brake pedal. Install kick down swith behind gas pedal and hook up to wiring harness. Hook up park/neutral switch on side of transmission to engine harness. Remove clutch master cylinder,clutch fluid line,and clutch slave cylinder.Install Factory shifter and console trim plate. The cutout for the auto shifter is not as tall as the manual is. At the dash end of the cutout the factory welded a small plate with 2 nuts for the front 2 shifter mounting bolts. I had to remove this part when I converted to manual on my car. I do not remember if the back 2 mounting holes are already there or if they need to be installed. I am going from memory here but that should cover most of it. This applies to a swap with a stock 3 speed auto from another Z. 4 speed auto from a maxima is possible but more involved . Search is your friend for that info

#6 ·
I haven't heard of "unreliable" Jatco 3N71's before, that's a first on me. Bernard was running his 11 second ZX on one with a trans-dapt shift kit for YEARS.

Methinks that post was B.S.

No, I don't think it, I know it!

Do as above, and the conversion is easily accomplished. It was an offering in the cars stock and as stated many are going the other way--my suggestion would be to find someone looking to go the OTHER way and swap the parts together, helping each other do the swap side-by-side!

The 4N71 (four speed overdrive) is also an option, and requires some modifications and different components for the swap (sourced from an 82/83 Maxima)---it allows you to run a performance gearset like a 3.9 or 4.11 and lose nothing once on the freeway in top (Overdrive) gear which is 0.67! Many owners choose that route due to the overdrive. Transmission is longer, and the mounts must be altered accordingly...it is not a 'direct bolt-in' but will fit in a 280Z easier than the early cars. Darrell did this swap on one of his cars a while ago, and loved it.

#7 ·
Oh, on the "Purist Point" I will also point out the famous 71 Yellow Murano Pearl Paint G-Nosed 240Z owned by Mr. K during his tenure as President Datsun/Nissan North America, as well as his Sunroofed 74 2+2 260Z with the exact same paint BOTH have Autoboxes due to his leg condition. He drove autoboxes into his 90's when his good friend Mr. Sato would call upon him to come over in his (Autobox) MX5 Miata telling her he was going to an SCCN Chairman's Meeting, when in fact Mr. Sato had been called by Honda R&D to take their latest racing bike out onto Suzuka and give them his impressions.

Two old hotrodders, conspiring with each other to escape the wives and go racing... well over 80 both of them.

Yeah, I'll put an autobox in if I need to.

#9 ·
^^^Yeah, I'm wondering where that statement came from myself!^^^

JATCO proved Ford's tolerances were the problem in the Mid-70's because they had a 0% failure rate on the C-Series Transmissions they produced, while the US-Produced units that same year had a 100% failure rate.

Ford components were all "within tolerance" when checked.
JATCO's, on the other hand, could not be found to have ANY VARIATION in dimensional tolerance with the instruments Ford Technicians used to measure them.

This example was one of the early "Slaps in the Face" that opened Ford's Eyes to SPC and modern production techniques. It was the start of their "Deming Revolution"!

JATCO production was a standard unsurpassed by American Manufacturers in the 70's.

The 3N71 was NOT a "Nissan" transmission, either! The same body was used by other manufacturers (similarly the 4N71 used in the Maxima can also be found in Turbo Starions, and swapping the bell housing from the maxima, nets a Turbo-Specific Application Transmission better suited to the job than the normal NA box..)

#10 ·
One unmentioned alternative is to find one somebody has swapped a V8 into...lots of them come with auto boxes which will pass the Xenophobe Test above... 'MURRICA, OOOHAH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.