1973 240z stopped running, won't start - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1973 240z stopped running, won't start

After a few hours plugging holes contributing to the exhaust getting into the cabin issue, I started the car up. With full choke it only went to about 1000 RPMs (its usually over 2000) and over the course of the next 15-30 seconds slowly lost RPMs and died. Car had been running well since I got it a few months ago - last driven 1 week ago.

Car turns over but doesn't start.

Wouldn't start with a jump (battery was reading 12.5 volts - I'll take it to be tested).

Plenty of fuel was getting to the carb I tested.

Spark from coil as well as spark plug wire.

Any recommendations? As far as I know the car is unmodified except: 5 spd transmission swap; mechanical fuel pump replaced with electric; Pertronix ignition.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:44 PM

(Thread Starter)
Just an update in case anyone has some guidance. It seems to be a fuel problem. Although I get fuel pumping through the lines going to each carb (maybe about 6 oz with 5 secs of cranking), when I spray carb cleaner into the intake, the car fires briefly.

One thing I didn't mention is that I had generously greased the throttle linkage a week ago, but I'm too stupid to see how that would have caused the problem.

I did notice some kinks/bends in the line from the tank to the fuel filter and electric pump.

Unless anyone has some additional suggestions, I will get a gauge and test the fuel pressure and replace the fuel filter while I am at it.

Thanks for any suggestions...
#3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 PM

Had the same exact symptoms, turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. Hope it's as simple as that for you, because I feel your pain. Spent hours trying to figure it out.

1973 240Z in need of a lot of work!
#4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks mnaka - much appreciated!
I just put in a new filter and it started for just a second - either from left over carb cleaner (sprayed hours ago?) or maybe when from a second or two of less fuel (since there was a gap from the gas that ran out of the line while replacing the filter)?

Still need to check fuel pressure but otherwise I am guessing it is a carb issue? Trying to get up to speed on these carbs - I've only done a very little work on Holleys (recovering 60s mustang addict). Seems like there is a lot of tutorials on youtube (mainly for tuning though)...
#5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What carbs are you running? You still running the original 73 flat tops, or has the car been switched over to the older round tops?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM

(Thread Starter)
Forgot to mention it has been switched to round tops. I'll be looking at them today - from what I've read it sounds like the needle (no fuel) and float bowl (too much fuel) are possible culprits...?
#7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 PM

(Thread Starter)
final update

Success! Turns out fuel wasn't getting into either of the float chambers due to clogs in the little valve the float bumps against. Weird that both clogged at the same time - it wasn't a new tank of gas, so maybe the fuel filter gave up the ghost and let some particles flow...
#8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Glad you got it running.

There's also suppose to be a fine mesh filter right where the fuel line attaches to the float bowl. If you're getting crud in your float valve, there may be a problem with the filter screens.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
Mr. C. - thanks for pointing that out - I didn't see any filter screens.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
check, re-route, un-"kink", or replace any dodgy flexible rubber fuel line anywhere you come across them...you said that there may be some restrictions near the rear fuel pump? AND, remember if it's still the stock factory electric fuel pump in the back, it contains a filter too (could be clogged).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page