ZCar Forum banner

280ZX rear suspension adjustment kit - anyone interested?

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Oldsklgarage 
#1 ·
I've been working on having a fully adjustable rear camber and caster kit for the 280ZX with a friend of mine who does an amazing kit for the Datsun 510. The 510 shares a very similar trailing a-arm suspension with the S130 280ZX. I just sent over a rear cross member and a-arms to Byron and in comparison the 510 is MUCH larger than the 280ZX (about 4 inches to play with as opposed to the 1 1/2 inches on the 280ZX). That means the 280ZX rear cross member adjustable bracket needs to be completely redesigned from the original 510 kit Byron makes. Byron is willing to redesign the bracket to work with the geometry of the 280ZX but he needs 15 buyers just to break even. He's willing to do the project if I can get 10 guys to commit to buying a setup in the hopes that he'll sell at least another five just to get his money back out (that's not including all the time in his design, etc). Each kit will be $300 each and will allow you to adjust both the camber and caster of the rear end. This is a MUST if you are lowering your 280ZX and/or if you are racing or auto xing your car and want to be able to tune the suspension. There is currently NO other adjustable systems on the market for the 280ZX and the only option is to use toe bolts and/or slot the rear cross member but there isn't a lot of material to do any slotting as it is and the adjustment range is minimal. For Byron's kit you would have to cut off the stock mounts and weld on the new ones which is fairly straight forward but does require welding - this is not a bolt on kit - that would require a complete cross member replacement and would be very expensive. The kit would be complete with everything you need other than removing the bracket and welding the new kit on.

There's a bit of a thread on it and the installation is over here

Here's Byron's 510 kit. Build thread is here and the install thread is here

If anyone is interested in a kit please post to this thread! I'm not selling the kit but I will be ordering one for myself and getting everything organized to get this done.

See less See more
#3 ·
Version one had some clearance issues so we'll be test fitting version two tomorow. Here's a teaser for version two:

#5 ·
THAT is pretty darn slick. :eek:

I want, but bad timing for me. Dang. :mad:

#12 ·
It looks like it's been almost 2 years since the original post, so is it dead?

Myself, unless tightness was checked before every day at the track, there'd be a concern about slippage of two flat pieces of metal even if cranked down with a lock washer. Some form of positive notches or a swinging plate, through which the bolt passes, mounted on a pin (or small bolt) through one of a series of holes along the slot to limit movement of the bolt no more than the swing of the pinned plate would seem desirable..

#13 ·
Figures! I guess I will have to design a part myself, again. I was really hoping this would be available as it would take care of some of the PITA problems I have had to fix with my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.