Headlight combination switch repair - Page 2 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I installed a wiring harness that adds relays to the circuit, thereby reducing the amperage that goes through the switch. Fortunately I didn't have a problem prior to adding it. The wiring harness also restores full voltage AT the lights, increasing brightness. This allows you to add advanced lighting systems as well.

1971 Datsun 240Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM

There is a saying....."Fools rush in where angels fear to tread". I have violated it many times and I was pretty nervous about popping the cover to the headlight switch, but I do like to drive at night, so........Guess what? The problem was just a bit of carbon crud built up on the contacts. Scraped it off, reassembled, and Bingo !

Would have never had the guts to open it up without your great pix. Thanks !

Nathan Mayo

NATHAN
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
MSA sells both headlight and parking light harnesses with the relays. Just to throw that in there.

*1972 240z* First car I owned at 16, rotted away when 18. (many Z's later) ~1972 240z~ Back from the Dead
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 PM

So I guess my question is, when I the board off the section where the spring is, is there supposed to be a spring / hat in each hole? It seems like it should be that way, however I only have a spring in the passenger side lever/hole.

Should there be two? Am I missing one?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Look at the 2nd and 3rd pictures in the Original Post.
Is your spring in the left position in that pic and do you have a rounded plastic pin in the right side? It looks like you have the pin in your pic.
If that be the case, I would say the spring is to give a "snap feel" as the contact bar is pivoted by the cam of the selector shaft; then the pin would just be a rocker for the bar on the right.
I've never had one apart, and you can wait for someone who has if you want to be sure.

zippityzda
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wiper switch refresh

Has anyone successfully taken apart the wiper portion of the switch and redone it?

75' 280Z under restoration
Formerly my Dad's car aquired new
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Know this is old thread, followed example and fixed all my running lights, and dashboard lights with this great easy fix. thanks to the poster

“You miss 100% percent of the shots you don't take.”
― Wayne Gretzky
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Just a note: when OP says bend the tabs back carefully, lift on the "open" end of the tab while holding pressure with a flat tool at the "base" of the tab so you gently lift the tab to vertical and do not bend the base of the tab back past vertical with the switch case.

Bending the base seems to be one way to stretch the metal at that point and the tab can break off.
It may take more than one time over-bending the tab base like this but why take a chance even when bending it once.

zippityzda
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
Has anyone successfully taken apart the wiper portion of the switch and redone it?
it is the same as the headlight switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page