Exhaust System Recommendations - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
ZCar.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exhaust System Recommendations

I need to replace the exhaust/muffler (everything behind the stock exhaust manifold) but, after spending a coupla hours reading through exhaust system threads, I'm more confused now than when I began. :-\

Ideally, I'd like something that's a bit deeper in tone than the OEM system, but not much louder. I'm also trying to keep things simple (less for Midas to screw-up during installation). I've also spent a bit of time watching...well, listening to YouTube videos, but it's difficult to tell what a car in a video will sound like live and most of the cars in videos either lack CATS, which mine must have, or have other modifications that negate direct comparisons.

Shortly after I got the car in the mid-80s, I had the system replaced with OEM-style components from Midas and paid additional for their "Lifetime Muffler Warranty", which I've used three times since then. Unfortunately, the last time they replaced the exhaust/muffler (in '03) some of the components were no longer available, so they put together a hodge-podge that not only reduced the engine's power, but also looks like this (note that the body indent where the exhaust pipe is supposed to exit the car is on the opposite side from where the exhaust pipe now resides--I'd like to correct that with the next system):

Because I've got a leak in the pipe between the exhaust manifold and CAT and another in the muffler, I've gotta replace everything again. Of course, Midas can't honour their warranty since they've no longer got most of the components. But, for now, the warranty issues are secondary to my need to replace the system.

Any suggestions?
freddy333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Exhaust System Recommendations

Go with a highflow cat, 2 1/2" piping to a magnaflow 40 series, and chrome tip.

Lost Wages NV, 76 280Z,LT1, WC T-5, Miata Seats, Vette tail, and other stuff. (SOLD!)
HEI wiring setup - http://www.zcar.com/forums/876981/he...fo-turbos-only
Megasquirt wiring basics - http://www.zcar.com/forums/886469/ho...uirt-and-spark
skittle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

MSA kit is really the cheapest deal. You could also do a Monza exhaust. I don't care for the MSA Dynomax muffler but at the price yo can opt out I hear and get one that fits your needs the most.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

You have a '79-81 which the exhaust exits on the passenger side. MSA has a decent aluminumized exhaust system for both the '79-81 and 82-83. I'm not a big fan of the muffler that it comes with so I went with a DynoMax Ultraflo and the tip is hideous so I replaced that as well.
"SpiderMan" - 81 Datsun 280ZX Turbo - 3.1L stroker
"Kayla II" -83 Datsun 280ZX
"Agripina" - 83 Datsun 280ZX Turbo
"Unnamed" - 93 Nissan 300ZX Convertible
"Zathina" - 09 Nissan 370Z 6MT PB Touring Sport
FricFrac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Make them refund your money
Black 82: http://www.zcar.com/members_rides/82..._901420.0.html
palladin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittle
Go with a highflow cat, 2 1/2" piping to a magnaflow 40 series, and chrome tip.
Can you give me more details (e.g., approximate total cost for this and sources)?
My OEM-style CAT is reusable and I'm not into performance driving, so is there much benefit to going with a highflow CAT?
I just want a nice-sounding exhaust that isn't gonna suffocate the engine -or- wake the neighbors.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would leave the exhaust exiting the driver side, less pipe and less curves. You can make it look factory. That's Midas work, wow!
Matt 78Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FricFrac
MSA has a decent aluminumized exhaust system for both the '79....
Other than the ~$100 increase in cost, what's the benefit to aluminized MSA vs steel MSA?

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the muffler that it comes with so I went with a DynoMax Ultraflo and the tip is hideous so I replaced that as well.
What didn't you like about the MSA muffler and why did you prefer the DynoMax Ultraflo (the aluminized MSA comes with a DynaMax muffler, but I can't tell if it's the "Ultraflo")? Cost?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I would leave the exhaust exiting the driver side, less pipe and less curves. You can make it look factory.
Yes, but to do that they've gotta either lower the muffler or bend the exhaust pipe down to clear the body/bumper. I'd really like to get it routed back out the correct (passenger) side this time.

Quote:
That's Midas work, wow!
Don't get me started...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palladin
Make them refund your money
Yeah, right.. ;D ;D ;D

At this point, I'll be as happy as a pig in slop if I can just find a system that'll fit the car (exiting out the correct side), sounds a bit more throaty (but not much louder) than the OEM system and doesn't cost >$1,000 installed. As it is, I'm looking at ~$400 for the intermediate pipe that runs between the exhaust manifold to the front of the CAT (the current pipe's leaking). Midas and I both checked as many sources as we could think of and only found one source, which wants $500 for the pipe (the Midas tech's willing to give it to me for his cost (~$400) in exchange for the loss of my Lifetime Warranty).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.