Manual Transmission Upgrade swap - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
ZCar.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Manual Transmission Upgrade swap

Hey guys,

Wasn't having too much luck with the search on this topic...mostly auto to manual swap info. Anyway...I'm gonna be building a stroker motor and then a turbo motor in the next year... and maybe a V8 just for fun later. I'm trying to find out what tranny upgrade would work the best for all of these motors. Probably...250ish torque for the stroker and 220ish for the turbo...who knows from the V8...that'll probably be years down the road. The point is...I'd like to get a good transmission that I would use with all of these. I considered just getting the 82-83 turbo transmission in there but I would like to put in something newer and smoother shifting...like a 350z 6-speed or some other sort of 6-speed. I've heard of people putting T-5's in their Z's but I don't know all the details there. So what varieties of more modern manual tranny's have you guys packed into your Z's? Any recommendations based on cost, complexity, result...etc?

PS> The transmission will be going into a 1980 280zx which has a 1979 5-speed in it at this time. It's got the original rear diff that came with the 1980 model...R...154...or something...not the R200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Manual Transmission Upgrade swap

you car should have the R-180, if your looking to put a T-5 from an 82-83 280zx turbo car (yes came with one from the factory) and you wish to retain the R-180 you will have to have a custom drive shaft made (i know because thats what i did). The swap is pretty much drop in i had no problems with the swap and i'm vary green compared to a lot of the guys on here. Hope that helps i'm sure one of the more seasoned members with chime in but this gives you something to start with.
79 280zx L28ET/T5
z-carforlife is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow. You want a transmission that will work with three different engines? Good luck with that. What is wrong with your current transmission?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

R180!...that's the one I have. I know the r200 is generally preferred because of the limited slip mumbo jumbo, but how are the ratios compared to the R180. For me...since the stroker will be my first motor I would prefer lower rpms...but I may need the limited slip function of the R200. Anyway, so the 280zx turbo transmission was a T-5?...Was it modified especially for the datsun or are all the T-5's out there the same? I've seen new ones for $450 so if I could drop one of those in that would be good.

@ freewill:.....because the stock transmission from a '79 would shatter with that much torque...that's what's wrong with my current transmission.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
.because the stock transmission from a '79 would shatter with that much torque...that's what's wrong with my current transmission.
A little hypothetical torque never hurt anyone lol. If you don't dump the clutch at 4 grand on a regular basis, your transmission will be fine.
BTW yes the BW t5 was used in probably 30 or 40 car models. That doesn't mean you can use any of them.
IMHO the t5 isn't that great at holding torque. It is easy to rebuild though lol.
You're not going to find a magic transmission that will bolt up to any and every engine.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

You have a lot of reading to do, things you are saying are backwards.
1. the stock NA tranny's are strong, just as if not more than the T5's. Unless your making more than $350 you don't need to worry about the tranny.
2. The turbo will make more torque than the stroker.
3. R200 does not mean LSD, matter of fact most are open, just like your R180. The difference is obviously size but strenth as well. You go from a 180mm ring gear to a 200mm gear.
4. No not all T5's are the same, not even close.
Most every bit of this is basic info that is in the archives.
Matt 78Z is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great post Matt. I come from a z31 background. The 84-86 turbo models used a BW t5. There are quite a few people who believe the 84-89 z31 NA trans is as good as or better than the BW t5.
I've owned an 83t and an 85t and I wasn't really impressed with the BW t5. It isn't a bad transmission but I don't understand why Nissan used it. A good shifter makes a huge difference as do fresh syncros. The syncros won't stand up to much abuse.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

@ Freewill: I am aware that there's no transmission that will bolt up to all the engines I mentioned...but I could only have one transmission and a couple modified bell housings lying around my garage instead of 3 different transmissions sitting around. The idea is to get a good transmission with better ratios than the 79 5 speed...which is the opposite of ideal for a stroker motor.

@Matt 78z: The ratios and lifespan of my current transmission are the problem. I have no idea how many miles it has on it and the '79 5 speed revs too high for my application. Also, I'm overhauling pretty much everything else mechanical on the car I might as well not cheap out on the tranny. Also...a stroker is going to produce much more tranny shattering torque off the line than a turbo...I don't plan on drag racing but I do drive fast...and if I'm cruising around in a car that I dropped 10 grand on...you can bet i'm not going to ***** foot it like some 60 year old man in a corvette.

Anybody with some good info out there?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
but I could only have one transmission and a couple modified bell housings lying around my garage instead of 3 different transmissions sitting around.
And the input shaft is in this equation where?

Quote:
Anybody with some good info out there?
Apparently not. Here's an idea. Repost this on HZ and see what happens :
Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

@ everyone else: You know you're not gonna get anything useful out of the guys with thousands of posts....they scour the forums all day looking for discrepencies in what you post so they can look smart by pointing out the flaws in what you say...without actually contributing anything useful. At least they look smart in front of everyone that reads your post....don't they?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.