Message to newbies - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Message to newbies

I've seen a lot of posts recently from new members. Welcome to a most informative site. There are a couple things you could do to help. Modify your signature with location, in case someone close by can help, and which car you own. A 70-78 Z is not the same as a 79-83 ZX and will not necessarily illicit the same answers. You could include the car in your subject line.

There is a search function on this site. many members just don't like covering a topic in detail to have the same question asked the following week by someone else. Search "this forum only" and at least 90 days if not all dates.

Try to be explicit in your explanation. We just do not understand poorly structured or grammatically incorrect sentences. Run on sentences just do not seem to get good results.

Enjoy the ride, it is an awesome car.

Chattanooga, TN 82 white w/ red na coupe 153,000 83 2+2 330k mi 82 Black/buck 126k mi
White82 http://www.zcar.com/members_rides/ma..._876147.0.html
Heater valve repair http://www.zcar.com/70-83_tech_discu..._895221.0.html
Black 82: http://www.zcar.com/members_rides/82..._901420.0.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Re: Message to newbies

2nd the "spell goodly and to illicit clear understandings ore we's aintst goina to be underschtooding U 2day"

You all know how to speak and we encourage you to do so to the best of your abilities. As well, yes, we do understand that english is not always your first language and will do our best if you do the same.

Now, www.xenons130.com for the zx and www.xenons30.com for the z. Go there. Download the free copy of the factory service manual for your car and if applicable the fuel injection bible. Use them for basic troubleshooting first. Then ask away. Give us as much info as you can using real data rather than "I think maybe it might be....x ... because someone said so.."

And please remember, before some of you start demonstrating the attitudes, you came to us. You need our help. We will happily give it to you if we see you are indeed trying. But don't feel like we owe you advice, that you deserve it just because you are individual and don't get pissed if we don't tell you what you want to hear. Truth hurts some time.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 AM

Sometimes it's best to just walk away and not bother getting upset backlashing the stupidity. That being said, I'll throw in my two cents.

If you want help, you can form a proper sentence and provide as much detail possible. Anybody failing to take full advantage of their FREE 12 year education isn't worth my time. I'm not a special education teacher. If your "learning disability" kept you from grasping basic English in 12 years, learning how to troubleshoot and upgrade your Z over the Internet is probably not the way to go. Either find somebody locally to walk you through it, enroll in an automotive class at the community college, or drop your car off at the shop for repairs.

Leet speak is for online gaming, computer passwords, and nerdy bumper stickers. Aside from the occasional "LOL", intentional misspelling and poor grammar will not get you any cool points on this forum.

We understand that everyone has to start somewhere and not everyone has a large budget to work with, but if your car is held together by tie-wire and duct tape, don't expect us to help you build a supercar on a $1k budget. The reality of this hobby is that certain things cost money. If your plan is to bolt on a giant Ebay turbo and make 400hp, this forum is not the missing link to make it all work.

On a final note, don't come here with an attitude demanding answers. Save the attitude for the guys at the shop who are actually getting paid to put up with you...

73 240Z - RB25DET NEO, FS5W71C, 4-piston over vented frt brakes, disc rear brakes, 3.54 R180, Tokico springs with Illumina struts, MSA sway bars, Urethane bushings, Cusco rear strut brace, McKinney RB kit, custom interior, 16x7 Konig Rewinds with Hankook rubber, mostly stock...
#4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Pretty simple!

Read the terms of service FIRST.

'75 280Z Coupe 4-speed
'13 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Extremely red.
"Never been there, didn't do that."
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 AM

"But eBay said that their giant turbo would give me 450 hp and it's only 100 bucks!"

I agree on the money part. In the last two years that I've owned z's I've figured out that it's better not to rush into things. Just wait for them to come to you. Or at least wait until you have enough money to FINISH the project.

Muskogee, OK
1978 280z - Turbocharged
#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)

This reminds me of a "men's league" I used to umpire. In the beginning there were guys 56 years old playing, some had been minor league and even major league pitchers. As years went by we got more "kids," you know the ones, in their mid to late 20's. The league became one of crybabies, they all wanted to be big hitters and couldn't take it if they struck out. The "men" went their own separate ways, leaving the kids to whine and the baseball was not nearly as good.

I hope that doesn't happen here. There are already quite a few knowledgeable folks I don't see on the forum like I used to. It really is a relatively easy car. Strange stuff happens but certainly it has happened to more than one of us. That communal knowledge we can tap into, if everyone sticks around.

Linluv, you give good advice. For some of you, regardless of what you "learned" in school, it is not cool to exhibit how inept you may be. Ask good questions and contribute when you can.

Oh, I ran across this site http://dictionary.reference.com/writing/styleguide/ it might serve some well.

Chattanooga, TN 82 white w/ red na coupe 153,000 83 2+2 330k mi 82 Black/buck 126k mi
White82 http://www.zcar.com/members_rides/ma..._876147.0.html
Heater valve repair http://www.zcar.com/70-83_tech_discu..._895221.0.html
Black 82: http://www.zcar.com/members_rides/82..._901420.0.html
#7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)

their keyboard?

There are many site s to go to for basic information. If you have a good question I'm sure someone here will field it.........but......

"Does my car have fuel injection?"

Are we seers now? ach ee double el, at least post a picture LOL

Last edited by heroe; 01-02-2013 at 05:21 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to jaket2k9

Well I think we have found our match on that.

Able to scare anyone in a single sentence!
#9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yes . It's hard to see from here.

I'll just roll out my crystal ball and get right back to you on what your car looks like!

western Nebraska
1979 280zx coupe parts car
1980 280ZX coupe
1982 280zx,
1971 240z 1st series
2005 pathfinder
1974 & 1977 corvettes
1994 F150 4x4 van works custom pickup,
1998 mustang
#10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Search-Download the fsm-do this- do that-etc...

Lately I have seen several postings by newer guys bitchin about being told to read or check or go to the fsm. One I know of has taken offense to this and started arguements. What I don't get is when someone goes to the effort to provide a FREE download of the fsms( you know who you are) and someone else directs them to that site, why would they complain and start fights? These type of posers need to find a forum that welcomes lazy a$$ whiners who don't like their cars and need someone to change their diapers for them.
It becomes really discouraging to guys here who really try to help and direct them to the proper answer or solution.
So I want to take a second here to personally THANK the guys that have tirelessly tried to help the whiney babies that have no real purpose . You guys that are the real backbone and assets of this forum , you know who you are (whether currently posting or not) and I want to personally THANK YOU for all the help, tec tips and direction I have benifited from by reading your posts.My car is alive and well due to your help.I just want you to know that in this sometimes unappreciating world that You are very valuable and I appreciate every thing you've done. Many of you paved the way for us to fix our cars without losing or sanity. THANK YOU again!

western Nebraska
1979 280zx coupe parts car
1980 280ZX coupe
1982 280zx,
1971 240z 1st series
2005 pathfinder
1974 & 1977 corvettes
1994 F150 4x4 van works custom pickup,
1998 mustang
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page