fm radio does not work, but the am radio does! - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
ZCar.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default fm radio does not work, but the am radio does!

My fm radio does not work on my 78 280z. But the AM radio does work. I thought if I tore the console out and checked it out, maybe I should have a new radio to put in. I don't know if the antenna wire is not hooked up or broke. Swinedog
swinedog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: fm radio does not work, but the am radio does!

Try moving am/fm switch back and forth a few times, fast. Spray the inside of the switch with electronics spray. NK
Old 10-15-2009, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, try the easy things first, as Norm suggested. There is no separate AM antenna inside the radio; the FM and AM use the same one, so if you have decent AM reception, the antenna is NOT on the list of possible causes. Too bad, as replacing the antenna is almost always easier and cheaper than fixing the radio itself.

I repair electronics for a living, and do a little antique radio rebuilding as a hobby. Quite often, if it is not a bad or corroded switch causing this sort of trouble, it can be an electrolytic capacitor gone bad, a bad transistor or microchip, a broken wire or copper run on a circuit card, bad solder joint, a bunch of things. Without a schematic diagram and parts list, troubleshooting and repairing the original radio would be a matter mostly of luck. Actually, the older transistor radios are easier to fix than the newer microchip radios. The chips were mostly built just for the radio manufacturer, and are nearly impossible to find. Transistors can be bought from hundreds of sources.

I know there are several companies out there that specialize in Nissan Z car electronics repair and restoration. They would be the best way to repair it if you wish to keep your car stock.
Bob, in San Diego, 83 280ZX Turbo Coupe 5 speed. Visit http://xenons130.com/reference.html for ZX Manuals, or http://www.xenons30.com/index.html for Z manuals. Blue's Tech Tips http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/
Astro Bob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

<Without a schematic diagram and parts list, troubleshooting and repairing the original radio would be a matter mostly of luck.>

Speak for yourself there. I also am an electronics guy, and a good majority of my repair work is done without a schematic. True it is faster and easier to do repairs with the schematic, but not required. Radio theory goes a long way to aid in the repair and with the basic block diagram understanding that is theory, will be good enough.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

You could go to a stereo store and describe the stereo. Ask them for a new box of high frequencies for your particular stereo. Make sure they get the ones for the manufacturer of your stereo. No shenanigans...
  Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can buy a radio made in this century that has am/fm, mp3, cd player and other gadgets that allow you to listen to the entertainment of your choice. if you get one at the scratch and dent probably less than fixing what you got plus the extras.
86T, 350 Nismo 08 (#1415) gone but fondly remembered 81T, 83T, 83, 85T, 86T, 96TT
rogerz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

jeffp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> Speak for yourself there. I also am an electronics
> guy, and a good majority of my repair work is done
> without a schematic. True it is faster and easier
> to do repairs with the schematic, but not
> required. Radio theory goes a long way to aid in
> the repair and with the basic block diagram
> understanding that is theory, will be good enough.

Very true, depending on the era of the radio. If the radio has many proprietary microchips, even if you can identify exactly the bad chip, mostly you are still out of luck, because those proprietary chips are made from "unobtanium". They just ain't available any more. He might get lucky and spot a leaky or ruptured electrolytic capacitor that is killing the FM signal at some point. That frequently happens in the 1960's Zenith TransOceanic portable short wave receivers. Having the AM side working does eliminate two thirds of the circuitry from being the possible fault. Still, checking and cleaning the switches is the first thing to try.

I was trained by the US Navy schools to always use the manual when working on any gear, and I still vastly prefer doing it that way if I possible can. Old habits die hard. But I do it your way when I must. Still, about a quarter of malfunctions can be identified just using a trained pair of eyeballs, and sometimes a sensitive nose!
Bob, in San Diego, 83 280ZX Turbo Coupe 5 speed. Visit http://xenons130.com/reference.html for ZX Manuals, or http://www.xenons30.com/index.html for Z manuals. Blue's Tech Tips http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/
Old 10-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

<I was trained by the US Navy schools to always use the manual when working on any gear, and I still vastly prefer doing it that way if I possible can. Old habits die hard. But I do it your way when I must. Still, about a quarter of malfunctions can be identified just using a trained pair of eyeballs, and sometimes a sensitive nose!>

Very true, a good majority of the problems with electronics, consumer electronics specifically, are a man made problem, meaning look at the parts people use, volume, switches and the like and you have repaired a good amount of electronics.
I was also trained, well went to Navy A school for electronics. I completed school in millington. My duty station was NAS Miramar and I worked at AIMD.
A school was fun, I was the first lockstep class at the time, and I really had fun screwing with a couple teachers asking them troubleshooting questions they could not answer. I did have two teachers that were guys like me and really liked electronics and it was more of a hobbie then a job. But, not many people do their first repair in the 3Rd grade. I fixed my 8 track that was given to me. It was all over after that I almost gave up cars, LOL.
Now regarding components, the majority of the manufacturers out there use off the shelf components from various manufacturers. One of the reasons I dislike SONY is that all of their critical parts are proprietary, you can get the parts but they charge you three times the standard parts would normally cost. There are others like Hitachi equipment, some heathkit stuff, but for the most part the parts are out there.
I will give you a good tip, if you have a suspected bad chip (Ic) and it is a common part, get on sites like DigiKey, Mouser, Newark Electronics, and others to get the data sheet for the part. With that information you have about half of the schematic for the instrument/gear, and can troubleshoot the problem. **** google the chip number and more then likely it will come up and you can get the theory of operation and data sheet for the part. The internet has been so good for that. I use to have to get an NTE cross reference to get any information, now it is just a click away.
If you are a guy that likes electronics, and you got your training with the Navy, you are or could have been one of the best trained electronic technicians that I have come across in a long time. The Navy has the right training, and the right Theory behind all of it. Now if I can just get past, electrons flow from plus to negative and not negative to plus, I will have it LOL.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yep, electron and hole flow, majority and minority carriers, and all that good stuff. I was a Marine, and also went to Millington. I spent the entire year 1980 there, AFUN-P, BEE, AV(A), and AFTA. Whidbey for A6E computer system training, then spent most of my time at El Toro. Now I am a civilian at North Island doing overhaul and reman of the F18 Hornet and SuperHornet electrical generators. All the time I worked IMA at El Toro, one of my goals was to work at the Depot, and now I do.

I never had to fix the 8-Track player in my dad's 69 Plymouth VIP, but I did learn how to adjust it's head tracking, so we only heard the desired track, and not bleed-over from adjacent tracks. Had to replace the cartridge retention spring once. It got weak, and wouldn't hold the cartridge in the slot.

Nice to find a fellow NATTC alum. You ever look at Millington on Google Earth? It looks pretty sad.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

if you look at raido dile there is a vary small ajustment realy hard to see get a vary small flat serwdriver look with light its there upper left cornner of dile turn with serwdriver.press fm button turn serwdriver its in f.s.m.!

MOTOR CITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2q-k4X_H9o

black gold man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.