280z 77 - exhaust smell - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
280z 77 - exhaust smell

I have had a problem with exhaust smell since I bought the car. I have taken off all the emissions, cut out the cat (thought it was plugged), replaced the muffler, and it still has a strong exhaust smell inside the car while driving. I can't pinpoint what is making the smell, if something is maybe leaking and burning or something else. Could it be something in the engine making the smell? Its mostly once the car is warmed up that you can smell it. Just looking for some advice, I used a pressure washed on almost the entire car, undercarriage, etc, just can't find it!!! I was also thinking maybe its too rich and thats the smell?

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 PM

Wrong...

I've never heard of these cars having an exhuast fume smell before.
BOOBIES - HIGH FIVE.

If my car had a strong exhaust odor then I would make sure the emmissions devices were working perfectly, use a good cat. The emmissions devices are there to clean up your exhaust, so you basically did the opposite of what you should have done.

Replacing the muffler and any bad pipe is the only thing you have done that could help.

Oh and about the fume problem, use the search function, you'll be reading for a while.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Re: 280z 77 - exhaust smell

Sometimes you can get exhaust fumes coming in from the back of the car. The tail light gaskets may let exhaust fumes in when they get old. You can replace them, they're like $14.95 ea. from Black Bragon I believe. This may not be your problem but worth looking at. I looked at mine and they need replacing,but I haven't smelled exhaust fumes in the car.
Joe

81 280ZX 2+2 39K (sold 6/26/08)
77 280Z 2+2 169K (body restored and fresh paint 9/6/08) (sold 10/04/09)
60 Chevy Apache 10 pickup
54 Triumph TR2(rhd) needing a total resto
03 Kia Sorento
99 Excelsior Henderson Super X (motorcycle)
#4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 PM

exhaust leak in engine bay and getting drawn in through the hvac air vent from outside at the windshield, tailpipe not extended past rear bumper and fumes getting caught underneath, leaky tail light gasket, etc.

Run some seafoam through the engine intake. Look for smoke leaks in the exhaust. If there are none, you've now narrowed it down to the tail end of the car.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:40 PM

You can extend the tail pipe a little, make sure all of the openings in the body are plugged. Replace all of the rubber, door and hatch seals, light gaskets and such and after you've gone thru all of the time and expence to do everything you possibly can like I did, you do one last thing. Accept it, it's never going to go away completely.
I accept the smells as part of the 30 year old sports car driving experience. The road noise, rough ride and the sound of fuel sloshing around in the tank. The heat from the Trans tunnle, the cracked dash all that good stuff. The S30 is the Rock N Roll Z, loud smelly and rough. Put your levis on and a T shirt and go have fun. If you want a more comfortable car get a Disco Z, an S130. Maybe even get one with a back seat so you have room to hang an extra liesure suit. Put on your tightest pair of designer jeans on and a button shirt with a big coller, leave it unbuttoned down to your navel and go platform shoe shopping.

77 Turbonated coupe. Fire Ted Thompson. The incompetent white Rat
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2606649
#6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Dont forget about plugging all of the holes in the firewall and making sure all of those grommets are not crumbly and corroding. Do the same for the plugs in the floorpan, the rear deck, and all of the lines around the gas tank (mine were in bad shape).

Some on this board (again, the search feature here is your buddy) suggested that putting a wing on the rear hatch created downforce to create a tight seal on the rear hatch (at speed of course) that eliminated the fume problem.

Or...you can embrace the fumes of your Z like I have. Its kind of like smelling your own farts. My wife can always tell when I have been for a cruise in the Z because I reek like exhaust fumes...plus, if you get caught at a train crossing you can get a pretty good buzz! Getting sleepy...so tired...must stay awake...for train crossing...

------------------------------------------------------------ 1978 280Z - I wish I had this much money in my 401K. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2066609
#7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:50 PM

yeah like Easyguy and cal55 said, my '77 280z has the same smell, however it smells only when I have the window open. when the windows are shut it goes away. I am going to narrow it down too.

'77 280z, Blues zx alternater upgrade, fusable link upgrade, cold air intake, egr removed, Bccd hole blocked, new injectors and seals,twice pipes and loving it, zx dizzy upgrade coming soon!! ( thanks Blue, TonyD,and rest of site members)
#8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:57 PM

madolive3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The S30 is the
> Rock N Roll Z, loud smelly and rough. Put your
> levis on and a T shirt and go have fun. If you
> want a more comfortable car get a Disco Z, an
> S130.

A Rock-n-Roll Z..and Disco Z
LoL, HAAAAA thats a good one!!

'77 280z, Blues zx alternater upgrade, fusable link upgrade, cold air intake, egr removed, Bccd hole blocked, new injectors and seals,twice pipes and loving it, zx dizzy upgrade coming soon!! ( thanks Blue, TonyD,and rest of site members)
#9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:01 PM

What if you're into funk? Do they make a s130/30 cross?

And if you're a hardcore white christain gospel fan, headbanging to "Go tell it on the mountain".... Does that mean you have a car with a blown powertrain? It sounds good but if you take a good dose of it in the garage, you'll end up asleep?

Reggai, Rap and Latin music is obviously air-ride suspension on the z so you can bunny-hop the car to the tunes.

I can't see longhorns mounted on the hood, so country fans are out. Second proof of this is that you have to be able to read the repair manual to fix them!

Patriotic U.S. flag waving freedom loving gun toting quasi-rednecks citizens are already represented by the Tony D. dream machine of a remote operated 50cal mounted to the roof of the Z. Hood had been considered but it obstructs the view and as well, the shell casings flying out may crack the windshield.

Y0RGO has already given us pictures of the Kentucky 4x4 jacked up jeep, so we know that exists already.

The Cannuck Z would simply be loaded with beavers. Shaved ones so the fur doesn't stick to the upholstry!

The Z with the broken headlight would be Pauls. (Sorry man. Had to say it! LOL)

What other non-politically correct descriptions can we use?
#10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 04:16 PM

If you are getting exhaust into the car, 99% of the time it's coming in through the back of the car. It rarely comes in through any other area. So far as the firewall grommets go that would only cause a problem IF you have an exhaust leak in the engine compartment. The 2 biggest culprits are a bad, loose, or poorly fitting hatch gasket, and a loose hatch interior panel. Those panels get the sags after many years of use and even the slightest gap can let exhaust in through it. That panel must fit fairly tight and be a complete seal. If it sags a little then you should either seal a piece of plastic to the hatch behind the panel, or use a type of seam sealer between the hatch and panel. FYI, that panel is now available new for all first gen coupes from 72-78 and we can have them drop shipped directly to you from the manufacturer. You should also check the antenna drain grommet that is located right next to the muffler. If you don't use the drain then seal the hole off with a complete grommet which you can get from us as well if need be.
Getting your car to run clean is also important for many reasons, and last you need to make sure your tail pipe is set up properly. There is a good reason why I only build one style of exhaust system for the straight 6 cars,which I won't get into all of the dynamics right now. You need to use a turn down tip and the end of the tip cannot stick out past the plane of the rear of the bumper. You need to channel the exhaust away from the vortex at the back of the car not pump exhaust into it. If the vortex is full of exhaust then the exhaust will come in the back of the car if it can find a passageway. It will also tarnish all the chrome on the back of the car, and cause the body gaskets to break down faster. Z man of Washington

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #23 project car. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 67 Jag E type. 79 620 King Cab. Store front www.datsunstore.com www.zspecialties.com landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page