my rear axle shaft (?) is busted. help! - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
my rear axle shaft (?) is busted. help!

please bare with me, it's the first time i ever have a major problem with the Z. and i'm not very knowledgeable in terms of fixing cars.

i was driving to work when my 72 240z started to make an excruciating noise and refused to continue to move.

i towed it to work and when we lifted the car i realized that the "driveshaft" was completely unattached from the "rear axle shaft."

here's a diagram:
[attachment 1191 rear.JPG]

so basically, (i'm naming these parts according to this diagram) my "driveshaft" is hanging lose, unattached from the part that's exactly behind the tire, the "rear axle shaft".

i also noticed that this little part is still attached to the "driveshaft" :
[attachment 1193 R200assemblyPF.JPG]

it looks something like this:
[attachment 1192 rear2.jpg]

so, uh, can anyone help me out here? i'm not sure as to what exactly this all means or what i'm supposed to do.

I just bought a 1972 240z. Technically, I'm a neewbie...so i appreciate your patience...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Re: my rear axle shaft (?) is busted. help!

Could be simple, could be no. Get that corner up in the air and get underneath. Is the disconnect where the "driveshaft" (as Nissan calls them, we call them "halfshafts" generally) bolts up to the stub axle flange that comes out of the back of the wheel hub? Or is that flange still bolted up correctly and but has broken away from the axle? Wait, you've got the outer universal joint circled in the diagram, is it split right there?

I hope it is the first case, and the halfshaft bolts just became loose and you somehow sheared them off. Can you get a clear digital picture of it and post it?

Fred
Tampa, FL

'74 260Z 2+2 Auto, 102K. Daily Driver. Mods: SU RoundTops, MSA Type II Body Kit, Twice Pipes, ZX Dizzy, E12-80, with MSD Blaster II Coil & MSD Wires. Tokico HP struts & lowering springs.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM

(Thread Starter)

yeah, i think that the square part is still attached to the longer part, in other words, that part of the wheel hub came off the wheel hub and it's still on the halfshaft.

does that help at all?

the car is at work still but i'm going to try to get a ride up there to take a picture and bring it back.

the guy who helped me tow the car told me that i needed this whole part...
[attachment 1194 rear3.JPG]

is that right?

I just bought a 1972 240z. Technically, I'm a neewbie...so i appreciate your patience...
#4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM

Before you get all crazy and start ripping parts off the car...see about getting a couple of clear pictures of the damaged part(s)...I suspect you are making reference to the passenger side half-shaft...see attached picture for more detail of the half-shaft...

webdawg1
[attachment 1195 Half-Shaft.jpg]
#5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Berny I'm out of my depth not having pulled the rear axle on a Z so I can't advise. I've done halfshafts before, they're not tough. It seems to me as if you snapped the stub axle so you'll likely need the axle, and rear wheel bearings while you're in there, replaced.

I don't know why the broken one could not be pressed out. Logically, it would seem so, but again, since I've never done it I must defer to the experts here who have. Look at the exploded diagram of the rear axle/wheel bearing assembly in the black dragon auto catalog and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/0097.asp

Fred
Tampa, FL

'74 260Z 2+2 Auto, 102K. Daily Driver. Mods: SU RoundTops, MSA Type II Body Kit, Twice Pipes, ZX Dizzy, E12-80, with MSD Blaster II Coil & MSD Wires. Tokico HP struts & lowering springs.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
My Bet...

My bet is you lost the four bolts holding the driveshaft to the axle and now it's flopping around down there.

If it's not beat up too bad, four bolts, four nuts, four lockwashers and you're back in business.

Unless you were drag race launching the car, the chances of a sheared axle shaft are pretty slim.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
-Ecclesiastes 1:9 and that means SEARCH, NOOB!

Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:26 AM

Re: My Bet...

That's what I thought until he started explaining. Now? Who knows. For the want of one decent picture!

Berny, you got this figured out yet?

Fred
Tampa, FL

#8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Was the car making a clunking noise from the back months before this happened?

Americans are the scourge of planet earth. Humanities demise will be at the hands of her meddling narrow minded blind greed & overtly obtuse people.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Yeah, it's hazy...

That's why I mentioned "Bolts"! The next logical step in berny's dissertation would be to confirm if there are or are not 'bolts' in whatever he sees flopping around there.

If there are bolts 'still attaching' the one part to the other, then it sounds like a sheared axle shaft.

If there are not any bolts, and the axle shaft flange is still there on the strut assembly then chances are good four bolts and he's back on his way.

But till he posts, we will never know positively, huh?

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
-Ecclesiastes 1:9 and that means SEARCH, NOOB!

Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page