ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piston Tops (long post)

424 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Unknown User 
#1 ·
<HTML>Last summer I got rear ended at a traffic light, rear of my Z was almost ripped off.
I had a L28 bored out 40 and an E31 head.
The head sat in a guys garage for about 20 years. Dual webbers a header 2 1/2 exhaust.Car ran awesome. I gutted the wrecked car for parts, car was restored until the wreck. I took the engine out. Last night I took head off too install new cam, well this engine I did from scratch had block checked for cracks steam cleaned new engine kit, new everything, put about 15,000 miles on it. the piston tops are BLACK!! Should they be that black? How do I clean them up, the only place I see a shining surface is where the intake valve (was).
</HTML>

#3 ·
<HTML>Black pistons tops are the result of carbon deposits due to combustion. I have used a steel brush in a drill to remove that debris before, but I do not know if this is the recommended practice. You must realize that the piston top is subjected to tremendous heat and pressure.
Hope this helps,
Bill</HTML>

#4 ·
<HTML>If the deposits feel soft then you should be able to remowe them with almost any kind of oil remower and hard rubbing. It takes time but you don't wnat to scratch your piston top because it will just make the chance of deposits much bigger. Let the pistons soak for an hour or so and rub them hard vith a cloth repeat this until all the deposits are remowed.

good luck

Brian</HTML>

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.