ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Differential swap for 77 280z 2+2

807 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  chiquete 
#1 ·
I've been comtemplating doing a swap to a 81-83 3.9 differential and scrolling through the post to see what might be required and some of the reviews. It seems like it doesn't really inprove 1/4 times, kills gas mileage but does give you a good launch.
On my 280z 2+2 with stock 5spd and R200 (3.54):

1. Is this swap a direct bolt on using my existing tranny?

2. Will I need different halfshafts,drivetrain, mustache bar or does it all line up.I will change the speedo.

3. Are these differentials easy to find and pricing info? I live in the northeast and junkyards don't usually have 25 year old Datsuns sitting around for parts.

I've rulled out just changing the ring gears and using my existing R200 case. This seems like the long way around to get the same result.
Most importantly for those that have done it, was it worth it and would you do it again.

#3 ·
I haven't done it yet, but I have all the parts ready for it except the mustache bar that UPS lost during shipment. I read a few articles about the swap and It seems like everyone was excited with the result. One of the article mentions the 5 speed from the 280Z with the 3.90 is even better. Yes you can interchange halfshafts between 280Z and 280ZX. Your 280Z R200 mustache bar is what you need because the 280ZX does not have one. I called about 15 salvage yards in MA and locate 2 280ZXs with the R200. After spending half a day in the yard I could not remove them and two more trips later, They remove them for me for $315. I can't find the site where the guy was so pump-up after his swap.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6212/diffswap/diffswap.htm.

Hope this help.

#4 ·
This is kinda on subject. I swapped my R180 3.36 out for a R200 3.54 I purchased for 50 bucks. Needed the mustache bar and the rear cross member. This is in my 1970, so these parts are necessary. On your car I believe you are all ready to swap over.

After swapping to the 3.54, I immediately wanted the 3.90, so I searched and found several on ebay, Zbarn.com and on this sites classified ads. I first made an offer on ebay. The guy turned me down said he could get 365 bucks for his. Called zbarn.com no response. Sent an email to the seller on this site, got a response. Bought the diffy for 25 bucks plus shipping which was expensive, but cheaper then zbarn and ebay.

Try Danny's Datsuns also. I've heard good things from him. I have a rack and pinion on order from him and will find out if he is a reliable source.

#5 ·
I wanted to ask the same cuestion this morning, i can get a 4:11 from a 200sx turbo; and i need no know the efects in mi car (launch, top speed, gasmileague and instalation) or if is a best option the 3:9 from a ZX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.