Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HP on a budget...

I am very grateful for all the info that I have seen here. I have read quite a bit, but there are a few things I don't understand.

Context: I own a 1982 280zx turbo that is pretty dibanged up, but runs like a top. I have a bike that I might sell that would put about $1800 in my pocket, which I am considering putting into my Z. Although I know that I would like to do wheels/tires/camber plates/sway bars, and my wife would like me to put a new drivers door/fenders/paint, I am thinking that I would like to do horsepower mods first. For the money my plan is:

Universal air to air intercooler off of ebay, as large as I can fit, 2.5 inlet/outlet
Universal 2.5" intercooler piping:
4 x 45 deg.
4 x 90 deg
1 180 deg
1 strait section
manual boost controller (already bought)
60mm TB with a spacer from Pallnet
port the stink outta the intake
rising rate regulator, 1:1 off ebay
3" custom exhaust with a high flow cat & dynomax muffler, maybe a glasspack
Autometer carbon faced boost gauge & air/fuel meter
new vacuum lines
cold air intake
370cc fuel injectors?

I am guessing about the intercooler piping sections that are needed, and don't know which injectors to get and if they just drop in or require modifications. I don't know how much power that this would add, (at, say, 13 psi), but I think it will be worth the money...any help would be appreciated.

82 280zx turbo, racing seats, roll bar, 4 point harnesses, 17 Konigs, KYB struts, Eibach springs, boosting 9psi. Factory sponsored pocket bike racer;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Re: HP on a budget...

Honestly, I would put the money into the mechanicals of the car before doing may HP upgrades. Make sure the suspension, brakes, and such are up to snuff. Going fast is no good if you can't control it or stop. Also, do some digging and see if the car is structurally sound, as in no bad rust thru or structural damage. Once that is done, THEN work on going fast. The upgrades you are talking about will add some HP, but if the car falls apart under you it will be all for nothing... Replace bushings, tie rods, ball joints, brake parts, etc before you even worry about making it faster.

1972 240Z 4-speed, header, 3.54 R200, Crane XR-3000 Ignition, 280Z tach, Tokico Blue Struts, Suspension Tech Springs, Poly Bushings. Visit me at my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for your custom EFI & restored Datsun parts
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 PM

You'd better do the bidding of the wife....it will make it THAT much easier to put the go-fast parts on later b/c the stuff she wants done is already in place. Been there - done that - got a closet full of t-shirts...

78 280, .040 flattops, Stage III cam, MSA header + 2.5in. exhaust, 75 intake, big-bore throttle-body, cold air induction, MSD6AL, Jacobs coil, rebuilt 5-spd, Tokicos, camber plates.....etc...

And one wicked 71 Camaro RS..
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 02:41 PM

im stuck w the same dilemma (spelling). What im afraid of is that people say you blow your HG boosting over 12 psi even if you have enough fuel, so i dont wanna do that.

SOLD

82 ZXT Auto
CAI, 3" DP back mandrel bent exhaust with magnaflow muffler. Custom Intercooler piping with Starion IC. Grainger valve boost controller @ 10 PSI
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

well...

the suspension is KYB gas adjust with stock springs, some energy suspension bushings up front, stock wheels and tires. Seattle has horrendous roads, so I think I will do the suspension last (although I do need camber plates because the rear tires are searing on the inside). I figure that I will buy 17" 50 series tires and 4x114 wheels as a combination, with spacer plates, mount up larger sway bars and tokico HPs all at the same time. Since my rear tires are really worn, it would be good to do it now, but as I said I would rather do the other things first.

For the wife, I wish I could get some boxed fenders and a used driver door, hood and hatch (due to rust), then I would prep and spray the car. But in the end it would be a stock 280 that looks good, and I would rather it look crappy but be fast. Considering that I am selling another toy to put monoey into the car, she said I could do what I want with the money...

82 280zx turbo, racing seats, roll bar, 4 point harnesses, 17 Konigs, KYB struts, Eibach springs, boosting 9psi. Factory sponsored pocket bike racer;
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 03:21 PM

Sounds like you have amde up your mind, so why are you asking our opinions? Go spend your money and go fast, but just be mindful when you are going fast that your tires are bad and your struts need replaced. That makes for a rather unsafe car... No need for control when you are flying down the road though, right?

1972 240Z 4-speed, header, 3.54 R200, Crane XR-3000 Ignition, 280Z tach, Tokico Blue Struts, Suspension Tech Springs, Poly Bushings. Visit me at my
for your custom EFI & restored Datsun parts
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to matt300zxt Send a message via Yahoo to matt300zxt

Body work always come first. You said it runs like a top, but looks like ****, do the body work first. Maybe the wife will give you some if you do what she wants

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 07:00 PM

ummm... the FPR isn't rising rate if its 1:1 Now if it comes with different disc to adjust it, thats another story, but since you said 1:1...it really won't do you any good like that. By the way, Rising rate regulators are a band-aid mod in my mind. They give you fuel, but you really don't get the right amount...you're just throwing fuel at it.

--------------------------- James Roraback 1983 280zxt 11.39 @129.38
ZCAR.COM member since 2000
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

thanks everyone for their comments. I guess I was hoping for tips one whether or not the 370 cc injectors drop in or need modifications to fit...the brakes and tires actually don't have any major problems although the rears could use a replacement some day soon. I guess I will look into finding replacement fenders, hood and driver's door. I will keep my eye's peeled for wheels and tires, and save for the suspension and paint.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 11:08 PM

I got a straight right fender and hood on a scraper. The left fender would take a bit of work. The doors you don't want em' trust me.
I'm in the area of Bellevue that time forgot, if your interested I'll shoot you an email and we can work something out.
cheers

78 stockish
82 partish
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page